You may or may not be into a capsule wardrobe, but regardless, there are fifteen pieces that are essential to a summer wardrobe. You need these basic items in your closet for summer. If you have these items, you can rock a well put together wardrobe all summer. If you are into a capsule, you will be pretty set with these items, and if not, they are your basic to build upon. Instead of stressing about what to wear, you can be out enjoying all those fun summer activities. I’m wearing a couple of those must have items in the outfit below. Keep reading and be sure to scroll all the way down for a graphic to pin so you can save your list of the best 15 pieces.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. I receive commission for clicks and purchases made through them.
Tshirt- Old Navy
Raw hem denim skirt- Loft
straw circle bag- Amazon
Let me talk about this outfit first. Both the tee and skirt are recent purchases. The tee is really comfy with a curved hem. It’s a rayon/spandex blend that’s soft with a nice drape. I think a curved hem gives a better silhouette over a straight hem. The skirt was a pleasant surprise too. I’ve had denim skirts before but both of my old one were, ahem, too small. I put off finding a new one because it can be tricky to find a denim skirt that’s not too tight in the hips and gaping at the waist for me. I ordered one with a button front from Gap, and of course, it was just snug enough that the buttons pulled and gaped. So back it went. My second attempt was this skirt from Loft. Cue the angels singing in heaven! It fit. It’s 100% cotton but still has some stretch to it. These two basic pieces with some trendy items like the straw purse, gingham slides and statement earrings make a great summer outfit. Switch out the accessories and repeat as often as you need to.
So you’ve probably guessed items one and two on the list already, but here goes.
1. Denim bottoms– I won’t limit you to a skirt. Choose shorts or cropped or raw hem jeans if you like. Whichever suits your lifestyle, but denim bottoms are a great neutral to have for a summer wardrobe. I tend to go for a skirt or shorts since it’s really hot here.
2. Olive shorts – Olive is a neutral and goes with everything. It goes with brights like pinks, red, corals and it goes well with your black, white or grey tees.
3. Print shorts– Get a fun print and mix them with those tees.
4. White bottoms– shorts or jeans.
5. Colored shorts– pick your favorite bright color. Again, these will work with the basic tees, or with a coordinating floral top.
6. A basic tee (or one with a trend like a tie sleeve) in grey, black or white.
7. Floral top (or tropical print)- Coordinate it with your colored shorts. It will always work with white, denim and probably your olive shorts.
9. A flat sandal– neutral or colored. So many choices here, but your summer wardrobe needs sandals.
10. A hat Even if you don’t think you are a hat person, I bet there is one out there for you. They hide bad hair days and protect you from the sun. They add a little sass to your basic summer outfits.
11. A swimsuit– I laugh at myself for putting this on here, as I haven’t needed one in over five years now, but most people do spend time at the pool or beach.
12. Statement earrings– Pick a fun colorful pair. They will jazz up those basic tee and shorts outfits.
13. A dress– Dresses are cool to wear in the summer. A loose fitting tee shirt dress or aline or flare is a great way to keep cool. It’s a one and done outfit.
15. Kimono– It looks great with tees/tanks and shorts, and it serves as a cover up with your bathing suit. It is THE summer layering piece, because let’s face it, it’s really too hot for layers in the summer.
So there you have it, the best 15 pieces to have in your summer wardrobe. Stay tuned for outfits featuring these pieces.
Shop the post:
Linking up here: